What can I expect from my mentor?Last Updated: January 30, 2019
This is a question we get quite a lot. And the possibly unsatisfying answer: It depends on your mentor.
What you can expect from any mentor:
- Availability as needed for questions, advice and guidance.
- Guidance on working towards your personal goal.
- Flexibility when it comes to goal changes, help requests and organization.
- Actionable coaching, such as help for job interviews, CV checks, career guidance.
- A stable point of contact. Whatever might happen in your career - your mentor is there for you.
What many mentors offer as well (depending on their description):
- 1-on-1 video call sessions
- Review of your work and actionable advice based on it
- Specific coding challenges & to-dos
What you can't expect from a mentor:
- Going in-depth in your code, developing new features or spending hours on debugging. They are guides, not freelancers and usually guide you for a price way below their usual rates.
- A pre-structured curriculum. Mentors will help you personally, not give you lectures that you could also find online. They are happy to point you towards the right resources though.
- Around the clock support. Mentors are there for you in their down- and free time. They might have busy schedules sometimes too and might now always be able to respond in the span of a few minutes